Part 1 of 4. How to root, install clockworkmod and install CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean on Motorola Defy. This part deals with preparation of all the required files to successfully complete the custom rom installation.
Click here for written tutorial.
- Motorola Defy drivers – Motorola drivers which will allow the pc to see the phone.
Original Defy Rom Sbf files for your Defy – The original SBF file to take the phone back to default.
- The site for the original sbf files is no longer available. I have provided a copy of the sbf file that i used in the video here.
- Please note that this is for the local Telstra Australia ROM and I can’t guarantee it will work for your Defy.
- RSD Lite (flasher for defy) – an application to flash the sbf file onto the phone
- SuperOneClick – as the name implies this application will allow you to root your defy with one click
- scroll to the bottom of the first post and download directly from the xdaforum site
- 2nd Init – this app basically allows us to install custom recovery which in turns allows us to install custom roms
- CM10 – this is the rom itself
- Gapps – google apps to allow us to access the google play store – this is propriety software written by google and is not allowed to be included with the open source roms thus we have to install it separately
- NOTE it’s important to download to correct version of gapps for the rom
2. How to install CyanogenMod