Rooting Your Motorola Defy
Click here for video tutorial of this post.
Unfortunately you can’t use the device until you setup a Motoblur account so go ahead and do that. Then setup the WiFi and log into the Google store as we’ll need a few apps from the store to do the next part.
- Turn on USB debugging on the phone by doing the following
- Settings -> Application -> Development -> USB Debugging -> OK
- Connect the USB cable and select none
- Make sure the phone is NOT in Mass storage mode otherwise it will fail
- Wait for the PC to detect the Defy
- Open up where you downloaded SuperOneClick and run it
- Click Root at the top – it will now run through and do some funky stuff
- Click no at the popup to install busybox
- Click yes on the next box if you want to test otherwise just click no
- In the box on the right it should also say Killing ADB and restarting as root… enjoy!
- Now reboot the phone and enjoy
Now that we have successfully rooted the Defy it’s now time to install a custom recovery so we can install a custom rom… in this case CyanogeMod 10 Android 4.1.2.
Click here to continue to installing a CyanogenMod.
Click here to go back to Unbricking the Defy.